Thursday afternoon, 3 p.m.

Friday, April 07, 2006

On life

Ben Graham (the father of value investing & security analysis as we know it today; by the way, when this guy graduated from Columbia at the age of 20 in 1914, he was offered teaching positions in the departments of English, Philosophy & Mathematics!!!! Genius is an understatement), once expressed a desire to a friend when he was almost 80 ' to do something foolish, something creative & something generous everyday.' This simple statement sums up how clutter free one can keep one's life & how one can use one's mind effectively.

CAS ( in layman terms, the placement cell) at ISB has asked all the students of the incoming batch to fill in a form listing 5 firms & functional roles/positions in each of them that we would be aiming for post ISB. This is a good move in the sense that it starts one thinking on the post ISB aim rightaway. It being a 1 year course, this is a wise thing to do. The reason I'm mentioning this is that whenever I've been faced with major decisions concerning job profiles/salaries, it has always brought me to the basics - to question what my value system is, to understand what I really want out of life. Hypothetically, its always easy to say that money does not matter & work profile matters most. But when & if actually faced with a dilemma of great work profile/avg salary vs. avg work profile/great salary, which one would I choose? Its at these times, that I actually start the personal rediscovery process. What makes me tick? Am I as unconcerned about people's perception as I think I am? Does money matter as little to me as I believe? Do I love my job so much that I won't be concerned about how much I'm earning? Net net - Do something you love, money is a byproduct. Salary is just one part of the placement process. Work satisfaction is definitely more important. As they say 'Do a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life'.


I continue to believe in the basics - honesty, integrity, sincerity, trasparency, hard work, loyalty, compassion, humility, intellectual curiosity & above all - living life flat out! Good night & good luck.

1 Comments:

  • Hi
    The clarity u exude in ur thought process is really commendable.... guess this is one thing which can help everyone to make our so called complicated lives really simple.....way to go man...

    Regards
    Sejal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home