Thursday afternoon, 3 p.m.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

It's gonna be a bright, bright sun-shiny day!

All apologies for not having posted for a week. Loads of things have been happening.

Yesterday, we finished our first set of exams at ISB - the Stats & Eco mid terms. Since these were the first exams here, they had been hyped beyond limit with junta studying more than they must have for almost all others exams in a prior life. Even though these exams were open book/open notes type, there was hardly an opportunity to use the books/notes. In the evening, the atrium was full of junta, all elated at having finished the ordeal. The night brought with it the mandatory party. We had a kebab/biryani counter set up here by a local restaurant specializing in the same. Booze flowed freely (& so did emotions!). For all the shit that Himesh Reshammiya gets, his songs are probably some of the few that can get spirits soaring & backsides moving almost instantly. I for one have always been an ardent fan - Himesh rocks!

We had a change of profs in the past week.(At ISB, usually 2 profs teach one course, so after 2 weeks, profs change). We cut cakes & captured snaps with them. Special mention for Bob Stine (Wharton). This guy transformed a complex & otherwise dull subject like Stats into something which we felt we understood so easily. As one of my fellow ISBians had mentioned on his blog - its like watching Tendulkar bat ; he makes you feel that its so easy! I for one have been tremendously impressed by Prof Stine. I remember leaving out almost all the Stats I had to study during my CFA course because it was too boring. But in just 2 weeks time, I have started to like (& understand to some extent) the beauty of this subject.

The last week also saw junta studying like crazy. I, to some extent was also involved in this activity to the exclusion of other things. This is what I'd come to dislike about myself. When I came to ISB, I came with a few intentions of what to gain from the year ahead. I wanted to get a good enough grip on subjects to be able to apply them in real life scenarios, to learn one new sport, to make a few really good friends & to have a healthy acads/other readings/extra currics/parties balance. I believe that grades are just a byproduct of an intention to understand the subject reasonably well - grades can never be the aim. To that extent, I can state with certitude that I have been successfull in understanding the subjects reasonably well enough to apply them in the outside world.

The last week also saw new profs come in. The Eco prof Rakesh Vohra (Kellogg) was spectacular in his very first lecture. He made us play a game on pricing our product akin to a real market & the learnings were awesome! The best thing was that people were applying their real life experiences they had had during the game. It is this practical perspective that really singles out ISB from other b schools. Elections for the GSB President (head of our student body here) also happened. The variety that we had to choose from was not very diverse. However, I believe that we have made the right choice given the alternatives.

I intend to change my focus completely in the days to come. The first 3 weeks were spent getting used to the schedule here. The rest of them shall be spent indulging in good readings, good learnings & a more balanced life.

A lazy weekend beckons. Some assignments to be submitted but those will have to wait till the week starts. For now - its time to recharge the system. Have a great weekend y'all!

1 Comments:

  • junta.. i love that word :)..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home